Multi
Multi
Closed
  • Pages:
Outline Arux
Topic Started: Saturday, 11. January 2014, 00:59 (10,509 Views)
Cody
Member Avatar
Winter is coming.
Outline Arux is the culmination of a lot of work and creativity by a lot of people. It was designed with the idea of pushing ZetaBoards' limits in every possible way we can. It's a minimalist design that's heavy with features, but not extremely bloated by Javascript code. We worked hard to use the quicker alternative that is CSS in any place we possibly could.

That being said, we used some coding features that do not work in older browsers (like IE8 and below). I'm sorry if you're stuck with IE 8 or below as your only browser (like at a work computer), but we have several other theme variants still available that will allow you to still browse the forum as you did before. Now that the beginning note is through, let's get on to the main stuff.

Arux Beta
Although Arux is done coding, a complex theme like this is never 100% bug free or without room for improvement. We're adding this theme to the forum with the idea that this is an 'open beta'. This is the time to report any bugs you experience or any feedback you have about the theme. We're here to listen and respond. I plan to do monthly release cycles that address any problems that are being reported. Any critical errors I'll address as soon as possible.

Profile Backgrounds
This is one of my favorite features of the theme. At the top of every post you make you'll now notice that you have a background behind your profile. You can change what your background looks like by updating your profile and clicking 'Select a Background'. You can pick from a set of predetermined backgrounds available to you (some groups have exclusive backgrounds available to them).

We do have the ability to allow users to create their own backgrounds, but all backgrounds must be approved and added by me personally. Please follow these guidelines when you're creating your background:
  • It must be 1900 x 152 in size.
  • It must not be too distracting from the content and can't clash with the white text on top of it (meaning it needs to be dark). A good way to check this is to use the console in your browser or ask me if you don't know how to do that.
  • It must follow the ZB ToU, meaning it can't be inappropriate.
  • Send me your background when you want it to be added. I'll let you know if anything needs to be changed. Please title your PM 'Profile Background' and be patient in waiting for my response.

Thanks to Cory for crafting the background code!

Notes from Cody
  • On avatars: I know some people might be upset about the decision I made to force avatars to 100x100. It was a creative decision that I felt best suited the theme's features. Sometimes in order to gain things we have to make a few compromises, and this is something I compromised on. Consider the ability to customize your whole profile background a substitute for having a bigger avatar.
  • There are tons of little things to this theme, and that's what I focused on. Take a good look around and see if you can spot them.
  • Check out our fancy new theme preview headers - click here for an example! Pretty soon anyone will be able to display their theme like this.
  • Your member title is your new status when you're posting. It's more 'out there' than the actual ZB statuses.
  • Things you can expect to see in the future: a dark variant, and mobile versions of both the light and dark themes.

Thanks to Joe (sidebar pip display), Nick (submenu), Matt (sidebar group title), Chris (profile backgrounds), and Chance (profile backgrounds) for your help on making this theme possible!

I look forward to seeing everyone's thoughts and feedback!

Reported bugs & feedback
  • Quote icon not showing in Firefox.
  • Warning when fast replying with no content.
  • Group title misaligned in IE11.
  • CSS loading issues when first loading the page.

Edited by Cody, Tuesday, 14. January 2014, 05:20.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Off

jackie
Member Avatar
Level 10
WOOOOOOOO

Quote:

[9:15:40 PM] Michael: penis is salty
[9:15:42 PM] Michael: with a bit of tang
[9:15:48 PM] Michael: :|
[9:15:53 PM] Cody: erm
[9:15:55 PM] Jackie Chen: uhm
[9:16:02 PM] Justin Bieber: ......
Off

Joe
Member Avatar
Hi.
Yay, looks good! Let's hope all goes well with the brand spankin' new token system too. Note: logs are indeed being logged, but I have not coded the system to display them yet. Either way, no more passwords for donating or any of that! :P
Joe
Off

Seth
Member Avatar
Level 10
Looks like 2014 might be a good year for Outline. But it's up to the staff and the community to make it a good year.
Posted Image
Off

Joe
Member Avatar
Hi.
Seth
Saturday, 11. January 2014, 03:33
Looks like 2014 might be a good year for Outline. But it's up to the staff and the community to make it a good year.
I think this will be a much needed boost. I think the community is still solid as a rock. (y)
Joe
Off

Matt
Member Avatar
Level 6
it's about time this theme gets done... I don't remember helping, but that's because my memory sucks... XD

Projects:
Kyros Forum Project

Find me!
Avestri - Google+
Off

Sarah
Member Avatar
Level 6
This looks pretty sweet, and can't wait to try the profile background thing :D Nice job to all those involved.
Edit: Love the warn level set up. Almost wanna be warned just to see what it looks like!

Would looove to see a dark version of this.
Edited by Sarah, Saturday, 11. January 2014, 04:04.
Posted Image
Off

Cody
Member Avatar
Winter is coming.
Sarah
Saturday, 11. January 2014, 04:03
This looks pretty sweet, and can't wait to try the profile background thing :D Nice job to all those involved.
Edit: Love the warn level set up. Almost wanna be warned just to see what it looks like!

Would looove to see a dark version of this.
It's definitely going to happen, and it won't be too hard now that we have the light version fully done. :)
Posted Image
Posted Image
Off

Sarah
Member Avatar
Level 6
Awesome, can't wait :D Quotes look sweet too!
Edit: Thanks for the warn haha. Love it ^_^
Edited by Sarah, Saturday, 11. January 2014, 04:06.
Posted Image
Off

SlyCooperFan1
Member Avatar
Coder
Whoa. I was not expecting this when I changed the theme. Looking absolutely amazing!!!

I did find a bug rather quickly: Clicking "Fast Reply" without doing anything posted a reply with the text "Fast Reply". O.o
Edited by SlyCooperFan1, Saturday, 11. January 2014, 04:17.
Off

Cody
Member Avatar
Winter is coming.
SlyCooperFan1
Saturday, 11. January 2014, 04:17
Whoa. I was not expecting this when I changed the theme. Looking absolutely amazing!!!

I did find a bug rather quickly: Clicking "Fast Reply" without doing anything posted a reply with the text "Fast Reply". O.o
Yeah, that text is just filler text. Perhaps the terminology is a bit confusing? 'Fast Reply' will post whatever's in the box when you click it, whereas 'Full Reply' will bring you to the full reply screen with everything that's in your box.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Off

SlyCooperFan1
Member Avatar
Coder
Cody
Saturday, 11. January 2014, 04:19
Yeah, that text is just filler text. Perhaps the terminology is a bit confusing? 'Fast Reply' will post whatever's in the box when you click it, whereas 'Full Reply' will bring you to the full reply screen with everything that's in your box.
I meant, when I clicked the Fast Reply button, it literally replied to this topic with the contents "Fast Reply", the default filler text. That was my original post above before I edited it. Some sort of notification should pop up warning you if you're about to reply to the topic with nothing but "Fast Reply", or it should be changed some other way. :P
Off

Cody
Member Avatar
Winter is coming.
SlyCooperFan1
Saturday, 11. January 2014, 04:22
Cody
Saturday, 11. January 2014, 04:19
I meant, when I clicked the Fast Reply button, it literally replied to this topic with the contents "Fast Reply", the default filler text. That was my original post above before I edited it. Some sort of notification should pop up warning you if you're about to reply to the topic with nothing but "Fast Reply", or it should be changed some other way. :P
Alright, I've added it to the list - I'll give it some thought on what we can do to improve that. I do like your warning idea. Any other ideas are also welcome. :)
Posted Image
Posted Image
Off

tokyodrift
Member Avatar
sashay, away.
I feel like the circle around avatars would have been better used to show if users are online or not (useful for longer posts), but that's just a personal preference. Amazing job on the theme! :)
Edited by tokyodrift, Saturday, 11. January 2014, 04:47.
Off

SlyCooperFan1
Member Avatar
Coder
tokyodrift
Saturday, 11. January 2014, 04:46
I feel like the circle around avatars would have been better used to show if users are online or not (useful for longer posts), but that's just a personal preference. Amazing job on the theme! :)
If I could "like" posts, I would go with this one. That's what I thought it was at first, until I saw it in the profile section as the custom title icons. I second the motion to have a green circle for online users and a grey circle for offline users.
Off

Dragon Lord
Member Avatar
Gaming4Life
Really amazing theme, I was quite surprised when switching to it. I love the color scheme, the design and the font. Just an amazing job, way to go.
Off

Cody
Member Avatar
Winter is coming.
SlyCooperFan1
Saturday, 11. January 2014, 04:50
tokyodrift
Saturday, 11. January 2014, 04:46
If I could "like" posts, I would go with this one. That's what I thought it was at first, until I saw it in the profile section as the custom title icons. I second the motion to have a green circle for online users and a grey circle for offline users.
It's possible, but it would require another code. The benefit of using the circle as a pip is that I was able to make use of a function already present in the software. That being said, I'm definitely willing to consider it.

Thanks for your comments and compliments by the way everyone! =3
Edited by Cody, Saturday, 11. January 2014, 05:07.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Off

Nick
Member Avatar
Let it go, let it go, can't hold it back anymore!
It's finally here. Amazing job on this theme Cody, it's beautiful! :D
Posted Image

Nick | 'Atta Boy Luther! | Outline Manager | Ask Me!

Myy Stuff
Off

Geoffrey
Member Avatar
It's a love story, baby just say yes
I've been seeing this theme for awhile and I'm still in love with it and just as shocked as everyone else. There's nothing else like this on ZB. So many great features in one theme.

Onward, Outline!
Posted Image

Other Sigs
Awards & Memories
Off

Maddie
Member Avatar
❤ max
Awesome theme. :7
Posted Image
[5/20/2013 2:43:24 AM] Maddie: You and me. Always :3
tumblr.
Off

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Archived Feedback · Next Topic »
Closed
  • Pages:

Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Outline Live