Multi
Multi
Closed
Graveyard
Topic Started: Tuesday, 25. March 2014, 12:22 (1,289 Views)
ærodynamik.
No Avatar
Level 6
Seems like ZB is turning in a real graveyard this year.. It's affecting many boards, including Outline. Where's everyone? :P
Off

Reverie
Member Avatar
Level 5
A few communities are being built. :P Surprisingly a lot of people are still around - just took some effort to get everyone together. :D

Posted Image
Join Today :wub:
Off

Bluezone777
Member Avatar
Level 8
Well that's the thing as its effort that is what separates the graveyard from the active community. You get out of a forum what you put into it but I think that's how it is for most everything. People use to put effort in and that's why we had good communities but now people just want the glory without the work and it just don't work that way.
Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image
Off

Moonface
Member Avatar
Level 5
Bluezone777
Tuesday, 25. March 2014, 17:16
Well that's the thing as its effort that is what separates the graveyard from the active community. You get out of a forum what you put into it but I think that's how it is for most everything. People use to put effort in and that's why we had good communities but now people just want the glory without the work and it just don't work that way.
I agree. It's like when I see people asked "What forum do you want to see?" or "Would you like a forum like this?" and a decent number of people say what they want or if they would like that, but then when they get it, they don't care and then wonder why or complain that nothing is out there.

Same applies to this ideal people have that someone else has to make topics for them. What exactly stops you from making it yourself? If you made the topic instead of waiting for someone else to get the same idea, you'd have a topic to discuss already. If you're not trying to generate a discussion, you're part of the problem when it comes to complaining there is nothing to discuss.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Home | Forums | Twitter
Off

Cern
Member Avatar
Level 5
Moonface

I agree. It's like when I see people asked "What forum do you want to see?" or "Would you like a forum like this?"

^I have been asked via PM often about what type of forum would I like to join. I'm not one to speak from experience since
I've never ran a board myself but I think people lack the drive to create content they want to be part of. They instead
aspire to build content for what others want. I don't think that is the correct way to go about it.

As per the question; I do think activity is very low in comparison to what I have seen in the past.
But I think people are getting older and the new kids only care about sharing experiences versus
sharing a conversation.

But as you can see by this topic some people are still out and about, making an effort. ^.^
Off

Moonface
Member Avatar
Level 5
Cern
Wednesday, 26. March 2014, 08:39
Moonface

I agree. It's like when I see people asked "What forum do you want to see?" or "Would you like a forum like this?"

^I have been asked via PM often about what type of forum would I like to join. I'm not one to speak from experience since
I've never ran a board myself but I think people lack the drive to create content they want to be part of. They instead
aspire to build content for what others want. I don't think that is the correct way to go about it.
I agree many are just trying to appeal to others and not themselves. Although I have seen some with an interest in the subject matter simply ask if others share their interests only to be met with a result that looks like nobody is. I admit that my initial statement of it was a little too open to pinpoint what sort of incidences I was personally thinking about.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Home | Forums | Twitter
Off

Reverie
Member Avatar
Level 5
Moonface
Wednesday, 26. March 2014, 08:23
Same applies to this ideal people have that someone else has to make topics for them. What exactly stops you from making it yourself?
This is a major thing most people don't realize at forums. Forums are built on the community and not the staff members, the staff just help lead it in the right direction. It's interesting how many topics could be made, but no one chooses to do so.

Posted Image
Join Today :wub:
Off

Bluezone777
Member Avatar
Level 8
I think too many around here got too spoiled by the forums where staff do everything that they are now faced with a forum world that demands they put something in to get anything back and they can't take it.

I seen plenty of threads around here in the past asking what others want but that's the wrong way to go about it. It's on you to know what you want and to convince us that what you have is what we would want provided the genre of board you run is something we would have any interest in.

The only thing staff need to do is give it a good direction and protect it from those who wish to do it harm as well as dealing with those bots. Anything else is just a bonus if you get it.

In life you can either be part of the solution or part of the problem. There is absolutely no middle ground here. Complaining that what you want isn't here is part of the problem. Offering something that you want and others might want is part of the solution. It doesn't mean you get any guarantee that it will work out but you will get a chance and that is more then can be said for those who simply complain and yet do nothing beyond that as those people will get nothing.
Posted Image
Off

Moonface
Member Avatar
Level 5
Bluezone777
Wednesday, 26. March 2014, 13:37
I think too many around here got too spoiled by the forums where staff do everything that they are now faced with a forum world that demands they put something in to get anything back and they can't take it.

I seen plenty of threads around here in the past asking what others want but that's the wrong way to go about it. It's on you to know what you want and to convince us that what you have is what we would want provided the genre of board you run is something we would have any interest in.

The only thing staff need to do is give it a good direction and protect it from those who wish to do it harm as well as dealing with those bots. Anything else is just a bonus if you get it.

In life you can either be part of the solution or part of the problem. There is absolutely no middle ground here. Complaining that what you want isn't here is part of the problem. Offering something that you want and others might want is part of the solution. It doesn't mean you get any guarantee that it will work out but you will get a chance and that is more then can be said for those who simply complain and yet do nothing beyond that as those people will get nothing.
I wish Outline had a Like feature right about now just for this post. (y)
Posted Image

Posted Image

Home | Forums | Twitter
Off

Relic
Member Avatar
a forgotten relic.
Bluezone777
Wednesday, 26. March 2014, 13:37

Bluezone speaks the truth.
Posted Image
Off

silvershoes
Member Avatar
Level 4
ærodynamik.
Tuesday, 25. March 2014, 12:22
Seems like ZB is turning in a real graveyard this year.. It's affecting many boards, including Outline. Where's everyone? :P
So let me answer your question with a question. What exactly are you looking for?

Since when is idle chatter the measure of a board's worth? A lot of us are happily running Zeta boards and still visiting Outline which provides valuable resources. We're just not chattering about it because there's really no need. A lot of the basic questions are already documented and we can read. ;) And one good thread is worth a zillion dumb ones.

JMO, but I think if you were to post an interesting topic or question you might get a lot more discussion than the perennial "are boards dead" thread. So please - do that. It would be great. :)
Off

Louisa
Member Avatar
Louisa Vuitton
silvershoes
Friday, 28. March 2014, 10:36
JMO, but I think if you were to post an interesting topic or question you might get a lot more discussion than the perennial "are boards dead" thread. So please - do that. It would be great. :)
i couldn't agree more... why do people think pointing out that there's not much activity is constructive? it's not, but starting discussions and conversations is
Posted Image
Off

Geoffrey
Member Avatar
It's a love story, baby just say yes
silvershoes
Friday, 28. March 2014, 10:36
ærodynamik.
Tuesday, 25. March 2014, 12:22
So let me answer your question with a question. What exactly are you looking for?

Since when is idle chatter the measure of a board's worth? A lot of us are happily running Zeta boards and still visiting Outline which provides valuable resources. We're just not chattering about it because there's really no need. A lot of the basic questions are already documented and we can read. ;) And one good thread is worth a zillion dumb ones.

This is an excellent and also inspiring post.

I think many people still expect Outline to bustling with activity every hour of the day like it used to be. That would be great - but when it isn't, that doesn't mean the forum is dead. If people are still coming for resources and clearly some people are still posting, the forum is not dead or inactive.

We're right in the middle (or perhaps the end) of a change in the forum scene where everyone that used to be on forums everyday has jobs and other responsibilities. We're changing, but not dying, in my opinion.

I'll end by saying that the staff is currently discussing this issue. I won't promise anything major, because I don't know where that discussion will lead us, but take some comfort in knowing we are not just sitting on the sidelines and watching the forum slip away.
Posted Image

Other Sigs
Awards & Memories
Off

Bluezone777
Member Avatar
Level 8
The only thing I can say is the longer the team as a whole gives us a forum with no direction, the more likely people will start wandering and straying away from this place towards one that offers the direction they seek that this board does not offer. I hear this talk of such things but see nothing come of it. Talk is empty and worthless if nothing is produced from it.

I am already seeing it now and it will only grow stronger the longer time passes. This forum was graced with no place for anyone to stray towards hence why they stayed in spite of what this forum wasn't doing but that grace period is over as I see such a place now that didn't exist until a short time ago.
Posted Image
Off

Cody
Member Avatar
Winter is coming.
Outline Archives
F E E D B A C K

Thank you for your feedback- it has been discussed and moved to the archive.

Cody | Outline Staff
Posted Image
Posted Image
Off

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Archived Feedback · Next Topic »
Closed

Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Outline Live